If you have a website but aren’t yet familiar with Google Search Console then this post is for you. Google Search Console is a free platform that will help you monitor and maintain your website’s performance in Google Search Results. Visit here for a quick preview and get ready to have a lot of valuable information about your site’s performance at your fingertips!
metrics under the Performance tab (handy charts included):
- Number of Clicks on your site per day
- Number of Impressions – how many times a user sees a link to your site in search results
- Average CTR – the number of impressions that lead to a click-through
- Average Position – how high your site ranks in the search results
- Queries – the keywords used when your site shows up in search results
- Per-Page Clicks and Impressions – what kind of traffic each page gets
- Countries – where in the world your site shows up in search results (*I’ve got an exotic list that includes India, Mauritius, Bangladesh, Uganda, Uzbekistan, and Germany, to name a few 🙂 )
- Devices – whether clicks and impressions occur on desktop or mobile devices
other fun tabs to check out:
- URL Inspection – use this to learn how Google Search sees individual pages and be alerted to any issues or errors that need troubleshooting. ~ My favorite feature here is viewing a screenshot of the rendered page as Googlebot sees it! ~
- Coverage – learn how many of your pages have and have not been indexed, and why
- Sitemap – here is where you can submit a sitemap that provides information about your pages and the relationships between them. This will help Google effectively crawl your site.
- PageSpeed Insights – you’ll get lots of good info about how quickly and how well each of your pages load.
- Mobile Usability – a report that will let you know if any of your pages have issues when viewed on mobile devices. You can click on specific issues for more information, including how to fix the problem and report it to Google.
Whew! I know that’s a lot of information to digest. It feels kind of like trying to drink from a fire hose, right?! But now that I’ve piqued your interest in what Google Search Console can do for your site, we can take it in smaller sips. In my next post, we’ll backtrack and I’ll show you how to get set up with Google Search Console. You’ll love taking advantage of all of the great benefits it has to offer!
Head on over to my Services page if you’d like my help setting up and monitoring your Console on an on-going basis. It’s one of the services I provide as part of my Website Maintenance Packages. I’d love to chat with you about how I can tend to this important piece of your marketing efforts. I’ll keep your site functioning at peak performance, freeing you up to take care of other things to move your business forward!